- Instituto Cervantes exists to promote the Spanish language; their website includes plenty of material for students and teachers of Spanish, plus up-to-date information about cultural events.
- Yahoo en español – Spanish-language version of the famous web directory, or try Yahoo España or Yahoo México for a more country-specific view.
- El Mundo Latino is a good leaping off point into the Spanish-speaking Web.
News & Media
- El Pais is one of Spain’s most popular newspapers.
- El Mundo is another, which also has La Revista on-line, its Sunday supplement with a good range of full-text articles.
- El Periódico – Catalunyan daily paper (in Castillian).
- ABC Electrónico – right-wing daily news from Spain.
- La Jornada – daily news from Mexico.
- Clarín – Argentinian newspaper.
- El Mercurio from Chile.
- Prensalatina.com is a comprehensive list of Spanish-language online media, an offshoot ofMundo Latino.
- TVE Internacional television schedules – as seen in the Sussex Language Institute. EuroTVcarry more concise schedules.
- BBC Mundo is the website of the BBC Latin American service – lots of features to read and hear in RealAudio, plus a live feed.
- Ejercicios de lengua española – a collection of on-line grammar exercises from Juan Ramón de Arana.
- comunicativo.net – free resources for teachers of Spanish. Communication activities, lesson plans, self correcting grammar exercises, worksheets, chat and so on.
- Comp-jugador performs on-line conjugations of about 10,000 Spanish verbs.
- Learn Spanish – a free online tutorial.
- Web Spanish Lessons – three lessons, including (Mexican) audio, from Tyler Chambers who has also made available a small English/Spanish dictionary as part of the Internet Dictionary Project.
- Palabra Para Ti – a word a day by e-mail.
- Spanish Food Dictionary
- MundoHispano is a MOO for learners of Spanish – it’s a multi-user interactive system, a virtual environment where students can practice their Spanish while sharing ideas and experiences with other Spanish speakers and learners. Click here to take the plunge (beware – your Spanish will need to be at least intermediate level!).
- What is a MOO? Have a look at The Purpose of MOOs for more details.
- Proyecto Sherezade has contemporary short stories in Spanish by authors from all over the world, plus vocabulary and grammar exercises, comprehension questions etc.
- Literatura Argentina ContemporÃ¡nea – extensive details and excerpts of many Argentinian authors.
Sources for further research
- About.com Guide to Spanish Language – original articles, lessons, exercises and lots of links, plus bulletin board and chat room.
- Sí, Spain – a fine resource from the Spanish Embassy in Ottowa, Canada, covering Spain’s current affairs, its historical, linguistic and cultural development.
- Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC) at the University of Texas is a comprehensive directory of Latin American web resources organised by country and by subject.
- Página de la Lengua Española provides links to a multitude of sites concerned with the Spanish language.
- Spanish Language and Spanish Culture from the About.com, an American guide site.
- Santa Barbara City College Spanish Department have a country-by-country guide to Spanish-speaking resources on the Internet.
- Universia.net has lots of well-presented information on Hispanic higher education.
- Yahoo – Spain
- La página del idioma español
- Centro Virtual Cervantes
- Online Spanish Help
- ASTURNET. Pagina Principal
- A tour through Spain
- CADENA COPE WEB
- Documento de bienvenida del BOE
- Dónde?: Directorio online de España
- EL PAIS DIGITAL
- El Periodico on line
- España al desnudo
- Fallas de Valencia 1996 – Home Page
- Información del Instituto Cervantes
- La página española de The Beatles
- Other Web Sites in or about Spain
- Si, Spain
- Tuspain.com, Nerja, Travel Spain, Andalucia, Granada, Tourism, Living, Property
- Business news from the Wall St. Journal in Spanish
- Go Madrid
- Spain & Portugal search directory
- Spanish Food Dictionary
Spanish Learning Resources